Our View: We hate to say it…but report exposing nation’s failure to address domestic abuse is no surprise to us
- ciaran@new-futures.org.uk
- Jan 6
- 4 min read
Updated: Feb 4

The latest domestic violence statistics – which measure a number of things, including victims’ experiences of the criminal justice system – make for typically grim reading.
Released recently by the Office of National Statistics, (ONS), and covering the year to April 2023, they show just how much progress is still to be made in tackling an epidemic of violence which affected more than two million people over the age of 16 across the year.
The report reflects the crisis in the criminal justice system too – with just 6.8% of domestic abuse reports in the year to April 2023 resulting in a charge and a staggering 97% of investigations into sexual offences recorded as domestic abuse-related were closed with no suspect charged.
The death toll continues to rise. Across the three years to April 2022, 370 lives were taken by abusers.
Our director Della Kagure Brown said: “These statistics are further evidence of the terrible scale and impact of domestic violence.
“Unfortunately, while these figures are horrendous, they are no surprise to the New Futures Project and other people who work in this field.
“The women we talk to every day are living in absolute terror.
“As a society we need to address this. We must continue to support those women but also start to talk about how attitudes can be changed.”
Domestic Abuse Commissioner Nicole Jacobs said: “Domestic Abuse is everyone’s business and every agency – from the police to health services – must deliver the highest standards for victims and survivors who come to them for help.
“Every life lost to domestic abuse is a tragedy and my thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones.
“Every domestic homicide is preventable. I want to see agencies come together to learn the lessons from domestic homicide reviews so that future deaths can be prevented.
“The criminal justice system clearly has a significant role to play, yet criminal justice outcomes for domestic abuse are not improving enough.
“I am increasingly concerned that the CPS charging rate remains at the same low level as last year. This year just 6.8% of domestic abuse reports resulted in a charge.
“For sexual offences flagged as domestic abuse the charge rate was even lower, at 3%. This is simply unacceptable.
“Not only is the domestic abuse case charge rate very low, but the time taken for the CPS to charge has increased from less than a week to nearly a month since 2014/15.
“Overall, it has taken the police longer to assign outcomes to domestic abuse-related offences compared to non-domestic abuse offences.
“Domestic abuse is a complex issue that must be properly investigated by the police without undue delay. However, in 26% of domestic abuse cases, survivors had to wait over three months for an outcome, compared to 21% of non-domestic abuse related. This must change.
“The National Police Chiefs Council, (NPCC) and the Crown Prosecution Service, (CPS), are due to publish their Domestic Abuse Joint Justice Plan, which aims to improve how these cases are treated within the criminal justice system.
“I hope the plan will be a much-needed first step in transforming the poor outcomes victims currently face.
“Living with domestic abuse in childhood takes a devastating toll. Of victims and survivors surveyed, children were present in the household 32% of the time when the abuse was happening.
“Based on last year’s figures this picture is not improving and I am deeply concerned about the impact this is having on families.
“The Domestic Abuse Act 2021 recognises for the first time that each of these children is a victim of domestic abuse in their own right. This includes experiencing the effects of the abuse.
“We need to see a much stronger understanding of this new change in the legislation, through guidance and training from national government, so that services are equipped to support and protect children who are subject to domestic abuse.
“These statistics also demonstrate the strides we have made in improving awareness and breaking the stigma around domestic abuse.
“In the year ending 31st March 2023, 81% of victims and survivors of domestic abuse told someone about the abuse.
“Of those, 71% told someone who they knew personally, like a friend or relative, whilst 33% told someone in a position of authority and 28% someone in a professional support capacity.
“We will all know someone who has been impacted by domestic abuse and we have a responsibility to respond effectively the first time they come forward, whether it is as professionals, colleagues, friends, or family.
“This first response is critical and can make all the difference in a victim or survivor’s confidence to seek help and feel believed.
“Every agency must be equipped to seize the opportunity when victims come forward in their hour of need.
“That means ensuring frontline professionals are trained and procedures are in place to recognise and respond to domestic abuse.”
The New Futures Project offers a comprehensive welfare and counselling service for women and young people dealing with sexual abuse or exploitation, domestic violence, trafficking, poverty and debt, substance use or mental ill-health.
Call us on 0116 251 0803 or send us a message at: info@new-futures.org.uk
You can find us at 71 London Road, Leicester, LE2 0PE.
We publish a monthly newsletter to tell the stories of the women we support and to round up all the things we’ve been doing.
Sign up here to have it delivered to your inbox at the end of every month.
Comments