top of page

Our view: Home office announces ‘lifeline’ cash payments to help women flee abusive partners

Updated: Feb 4


Women desperate to escape abusive relationships can now apply for financial support to build new lives for themselves, including help with the cost of securing a new home, the Home office has announced. 


Abuse victims can apply for a one-off payment of up to £500 for essential items they may need after leaving an violent or controlling partner, such as groceries, nappies or home security measures, such as CCTV and doorbell cameras.


Also, for the first time, they can apply for a further one-off payment of up to £2,500 to help with a more decisive move, including costs such as deposits to secure a new home.


The £2 million fund, which opened for applications earlier this month, was created following a pilot project last year which helped more than 600 victims to safety.


Staff at the New Futures Project routinely assist women in this situation. Where possible, we will seek to obtain this financial support for them.


Home Secretary James Cleverly said: “We know that victims of domestic abuse are often forced to flee with very little. 


“These payments cover essentials like food, clothing and nappies, and will also help them keep a roof over their heads.


“After the successful trial of this lifeline scheme with Women’s Aid last year, I am proud to continue helping victims to escape abuse, find safety and rebuild their lives.”

The funds will be administered by 470 community organisations across the country, including Women’s Aid.


Women’s Aid chief executive Farah Nazeer said: “Domestic abuse affects a huge number of people, many of whom face additional challenges when it comes to receiving the life-changing support that they need.


“When we worked on the pilot of the fund in May last year, we saw immediately the impact this was having on survivors – over 75% of applicants used their grant to replace or purchase essential goods for themselves or their children, after they had fled their abuser with nothing to their name.


“This year’s funding will make life-changing improvements to the lives of countless adult and child survivors, allowing them to take those first steps towards a life free of abuse.

“We are immensely proud to be a part of this, especially during our 50th year, and believe that by allowing more survivors to escape their abusers, we are taking steps in the right direction to building a society in which domestic abuse is no longer tolerated.”


New Futures was set up to support women involved in sex work.

However, we have evolved into a comprehensive welfare and counselling service for women and young people dealing with sexual abuse or exploitation, domestic violence, trafficking, poverty and debt, substance use or mental ill-health.

Call us on 0116 251 0803 or send us a message at: info@new-futures.org.uk

You can find us at 71 London Road, Leicester, LE2 0PE.

We publish a monthly newsletter to tell the stories of the women we support and to round up all the things we’ve been doing. 

Sign up here to have it delivered to your inbox at the end of every month.

Comments


bottom of page